Monday, January 26, 2015

Janna is 4?! What?!

Oh I dunno....
That is the phrase one of my best friends starts with out of the blue when she ‘s had a rough day, or is preparing to share a motherhood-in the trenches- lament.   That is the phrase that came to me as I sit here to blog about the day.

Oh I dunno.... Maybe watching 7 children all day long under the age of 7 was a bit much for the day.  I had one fussy teething baby to soothe, a rebellious toddler to discipline over and over and over again, a 2 year old boy who is potty training, a 3 year old boy who was overtired and not interested in being around people all day, a 4 year old to celebrate, a 5 year old to keep off the roof in the midst of the festivities, and a mature 6 year old to keep entertained in a house of little ones.  Meals, crafts, snacks, games, love, discipline, school work,  clean-up, and getting 7 children settled for naps or quiet times.... I’m pooped.   But it’s worth it.  It is a worthy and wonderful call to mother, and God is teaching me so much during this phase of my life.  This phase so full of daily triumphs and battles.  As I read in a book lately, motherhood is so full of moment to moment transformations day in and out.  Filling hungry bellies, cleaning dirty hands, wiping tear-stained cheeks, washing soiled laundry, tired children to rested ones.... So much work.  So much Joy.  

My little Janna is 4 today!  Four years ago she entered the world around 9 am after the previous night when she interrupted Dave and I in the middle of some marking during the very crunching exam season.  I do believe I was working away at correcting some multiple choice sections of exams, as he tackled the question and essay portions.  Anyways,  I labored through the night and we were all sure she’d be here by 6 am, but then she just kind of chilled until later in the morning until she was ready for her appearance.   I didn’t understand it then, but I know now that she is not a morning person, and 9 am is way more her style than 6 am J

Janna has been very interesting to watch over the years.  She is so different from her sibling, pretty quiet and calm.  She was quite slow to talk, and even then didn’t have so much to say until the past year or so where it feels like she has really come out of her shell and we know her thoughts and ideas more and more each day.

At 4 years old, Janna loves to dress up and enjoys all things beautiful and pink.  Her outfit choices keep us smiling day in and out, and her desire for sparkle, shimmer, and bold patterns seem strangely at odds with her quiet and sweet ways. 

Until 5:30. 

Janna seems to come alive during the supper hour and thereafter.  She will dance and spin and act like a crazy lunatic and giggle with sheer giddiness at things that seemed to bore or annoy her during the daytime.    She loves to spin and roll and flip and frolic during “tea time” which is the time after supper and night chores where Dave and I kick our feet up, drink tea, and watch the kids play.  We all just sort of enjoy each other’s presence for that 30 minutes of the day with no agenda other than to delight in each other’s company over some tea.

Janna always comes over and smells our tea during tea time.  I tend to waffle between mint or green or lemon, and Dave will often do a chai, or some weird fruity herbal one.  She always smells the teas.  She is big into smell.  She loves to smell the pages of the stacks of books she endlessly pores through each day.  She loves to smell the nail polish as I put a fresh (and always pink or purple) coat on her nails for her.  She likes to smell her craft supplies, my hair after a shower, or a new food she is about to try.   She is pretty good with eating just about anything at this point.   She struggles a bit with meat, but she does love her chicken nuggets and fries, which is what she requested for her birthday meal. 

More important than her good appetite, is that we are noticing a real nurturing and empathetic side developing in our little smelling-fashionista these days, that we are very proud of.  Janna is the first one to run to Asher if he is crying and try to soothe him.  She is the first one to jump off her chair and pick up a cookie that Robyn may have dropped before Cooper gets it.   Robyn can be a pretty testy sister, but Janna has started taking her under her wing more and more.  They play their babies together, and Janna will read to Robyn, or simply take her hand and lead her around the house.  Janna has recently started ballet, which she seems to love.  I catch her showing Robyn her positions and certain moves she has been learning, and encouraging Robyn’s rather bold attempts at such graceful moves.   She will often tell Dave and I, “Good JOB!”  for this or that random thing we have done.   

Janna is also developing a real helping spirit. She has not only gotten accustomed to her several morning and nightly chores, but tackles them with a good attitude and often a, “ I love to do my chores, Mommy” Attitude.  She loves to help me in the kitchen, and will eagerly ask what she can to do help get dinner on the table.   Even if it isn’t her favorite task, she tells me she likes to be my helper.  Most days that I tuck her into bed for her nap, I will snuggle in with her for a minute, and she will stroke my face, look into my eyes and say, “ You beautiful mom.”  She is a real encourager.

And sometimes, a mom needs some encouragement in the middle of a wild day, or at the end of one (like today let’s say)  and Janna certainly blesses me with her sweet spirit and genuine words day in and out.   I really look forward to what year 4 holds her and am thrilled to be her mom.  Happy Birthday little lady. We love you.



No comments:

Post a Comment